It has begun...what I think is a normal rite of passage for a mother of a high school senior...a hole, somewhere deep in my core is starting to form...my baby... my first... is getting ready to leave the nest...
Scott and I just got home from attending a ceremony at her high school. She was just inducted into National Honors Society. It was a really nice ceremony. Tuesday night she invited me to a University dinner. She was being honored as a distinguished scholar and being wooed by the Honors Program at UNL. That was also a very nice ceremony. A few weeks ago she finished her college applications to #1 Yale, #2 George Washington and #3 UNL. And now, she is desperately waiting to hear Yale say that they want her to come there.
Adrienne, I know that you will read this post at some point, so I'm just going to say that I know you deserve to go to Yale. Everyone reading this blog knows that you deserve to go to Yale. Everyone knows that if you went to Yale, you would work hard and take advantage of every opportunity that you were given. However, I'm pretty sure that everyone reading this blog also knows how much kleenex they would have to send your momma that first month or so after you left. Maybe even longer...you see, I can't even really remember a time when you weren't with me. When your dad was working day and night so you and I could have a roof over our head, it was just me and you. When Eliot came along, you helped me take care of him. Do you remember when I was so sick with the flu at the old house, and he was barely able to crawl? He somehow managed to get himself under the dining room table and I just laid down by him. You brought him toys and books, and changed a washcloth on my head until your dad got home. And then Elise was born, and you were a little momma to her. You fed her, bathed her, changed her diapers, (maybe that's why you don't want kids?? That's OK- you can keep thinking that for about 10 more years at least).
Where am I going with this? You keep asking me "what do you think about where I should go?"... I just want you to be happy, sweetheart. So, you better get me some kleenex.
As I am drying my tears, I can only pray that I am one day as awesome of a mother as you! You are inspiring in so many ways, and I hope that you give yourself credit for all of your hard work in raising wonderful children.
ReplyDelete