Saturday, November 6, 2010

1st Speech Competition

Millard North Novice Invitational
1st Place Exptemporaneous Speaking
November 5th, 2010

Ever heard of "Extemp"? I hadn't until this year when Adrienne said, "I've decided to do extemp instead of choir". She thought it would be more helpful for her future career. Extemp is short for Exptemporaneous Speaking. It is one of the categories in the extracurricular, "Speech and Debate". Adrienne is given a question related to current events, has 30 minutes to research, write and memorize her answer, and then presents it to a judge. I won't go into how many levels this is out of my comfort zone, but part of me thought, "You are NUTS!", (and I wasn't referring to Pastor Larry's definition, "Never Underestimate The Spirit".)

Yesterday, she participated in her first speech competition in Omaha. She came home and was so proud to share that she won 1st place in her category! I thought it was interesting that out of the 35 participants in the extemp category, only 6 were female. She had three rounds to get through with a new question in each round. This is what she was given:
  • Round 1: What are the goals that the new congress will implement?
  • Round 2: What are the lessons that can be learned from the recent release of the Chilean miners?
  • Round 3: Should Iraq be able to govern itself?
Congratulations, Adrienne!
Go Knights! Here's to a great speech season!

No comments:

Post a Comment