I don't really have anything big to share- just thought I should check in. The days have been flying by with school and homework and activities. Elise brought home a Star Student Award today for having a "super clean desk". She smiled her toothy grin at me. I haven't really seen much of her work. She claims that they will have homework, like spelling lists and math facts, but nothing so far.
Eliot has been doing great in his classes. He's getting his work done and is even managing to work in some time at the gym. The school has a new online system so I can check his scores anytime I want (unless the teacher hasn't entered them...). We did have one mishap with the online system last week. At 8:20am on Friday, I received an automated email saying he had an "unexcused absence" for the day. I immediately called the office as I had no idea if he actually got to school since he walks. The secretary thought it was no big deal and could I call back in 15 minutes to check....ummmm...NO! You just left me a message saying you have no idea where my kid is- I'm not getting off this phone until you find him! At that point she transferred me to another secretary who said "Oh. I'm sure he's here somewhere..." Well, really I hope so, but you will find out for me now. Yes, he was there. Yes, he was late. In fact, he happened to be in the office trading in his lock on his locker for one that would close and was waiting for the secretary to get him the combination...sigh...
Adrienne seems to be balancing things well. Today she came home and said she met a boy in her french class at UNL...he's a senior...umm, yeah, in college...I sort of forgot about that part of college life. I remember when I used to worry if her colic would ever stop, or if she would fall down while she was learning to walk, or if she had her spelling words mastered (OK, I didn't worry about that, but some moms do!) I mean really, I'm trying not to worry about anything and just enjoy these stages in life and then something will almost knock the wind out of me. Maybe it's because I remember this age in my life. During my senior year, I did not go to high school at all. I was at the University of MN full-time and was getting ready to move into a house in Minneapolis, alone. I was auditioning for ensembles and practicing and working two jobs...and meeting boys...Now I'm second guessing our conversations. Have I prepared her for everything? Probably not... Have I prepared her for most things....I don't know. But, I know she is a smart girl. We've had conversations about everything that I can think that will benefit her and that will have to be enough. I refuse to be a mom that micro-manages every aspect of her life during her senior year. She needs to make choices and be responsible. Maybe I'll just go say a little extra prayer... for all my kids... feel free to join me.
No comments:
Post a Comment