This year I really wanted to do something with the back deck. After we took out the hot tub last year, we were left with a hole and it was starting to really bother me! It was such an eye-sore and I couldn't make use of the space at all. So Scott suggested that we hire someone to put on a new deck with the plan that we would have a walk-out off the dining room. So, I started getting bids... and then figured out that I really did not want to sink the money into that this summer.
Meanwhile, Scott was touring in the Czech Republic and I started talking with my girlfriends about just ripping the whole thing out while he was gone and planting grass and forgetting about it. But then, we started talking about how I love the height of this deck and if it was just big enough to put some chairs out for conversation and drinks it would be awesome! So we came to the conclusion that what I really wanted was to just fill in the existing space. While we were trying to figure out who to hire, (as it wasn't really a big enough job for a 'deck guy' to do), my neighbor friend just happened to nominate her husband for the job :) I knew he was completely capable of doing it and that they are looking to do some landscaping in their front yard and are trying to save up for that, so it could only be a win-win situation!
Now, if we could just get the husbands to agree...
I decided that the best plan would be to just get it done before Scott got home and surprise him! Although, I must be getting old because I started second-guessing that decision mid-way through the process. Ten years ago it would have never even crossed my mind that he might not be happy with it.. anyone remember me ripping out my kitchen walls when Eliot went to 1st grade?..Scott didn't really know that was going to happen either ;) Anyway, my neighbors husband started working on it Saturday afternoon and by Sunday evening it was finished! Then Eliot and Elise and the neighbor kids helped me scrape it, and my neighbor helped me prime and paint it before Scott got home.
Scott is happy with it and last night we went to look at some of the ideas I had for furnishing it. I really wanted a conversation area, and he has always talked about having a fire-pit, so when I saw this pit I knew this was what we needed. It has edges on it so the little girls can put plates on it and eat lunch outside, and we can set drinks on it or just put our feet up and relax and watch the kids play. And on special occasions we'll roast marshmallows and hot dogs. Scott insisted we get it for Mother's Day weekend and we managed to fit 4 of us, 4 chairs and the pit into the Accord!
Thanks honey- I love it! And thanks for loving me just as I am :)










Meanwhile, Scott was touring in the Czech Republic and I started talking with my girlfriends about just ripping the whole thing out while he was gone and planting grass and forgetting about it. But then, we started talking about how I love the height of this deck and if it was just big enough to put some chairs out for conversation and drinks it would be awesome! So we came to the conclusion that what I really wanted was to just fill in the existing space. While we were trying to figure out who to hire, (as it wasn't really a big enough job for a 'deck guy' to do), my neighbor friend just happened to nominate her husband for the job :) I knew he was completely capable of doing it and that they are looking to do some landscaping in their front yard and are trying to save up for that, so it could only be a win-win situation!
Now, if we could just get the husbands to agree...
I decided that the best plan would be to just get it done before Scott got home and surprise him! Although, I must be getting old because I started second-guessing that decision mid-way through the process. Ten years ago it would have never even crossed my mind that he might not be happy with it.. anyone remember me ripping out my kitchen walls when Eliot went to 1st grade?..Scott didn't really know that was going to happen either ;) Anyway, my neighbors husband started working on it Saturday afternoon and by Sunday evening it was finished! Then Eliot and Elise and the neighbor kids helped me scrape it, and my neighbor helped me prime and paint it before Scott got home.
Scott is happy with it and last night we went to look at some of the ideas I had for furnishing it. I really wanted a conversation area, and he has always talked about having a fire-pit, so when I saw this pit I knew this was what we needed. It has edges on it so the little girls can put plates on it and eat lunch outside, and we can set drinks on it or just put our feet up and relax and watch the kids play. And on special occasions we'll roast marshmallows and hot dogs. Scott insisted we get it for Mother's Day weekend and we managed to fit 4 of us, 4 chairs and the pit into the Accord!
Thanks honey- I love it! And thanks for loving me just as I am :)
I will always love you just as you are!
ReplyDeleteHappy Mothers Day from your too-often gone husband.
That looks fantastic Julie!
ReplyDelete