Thursday, March 24, 2016

London - Day 7 - Last day so make it a good one!

Today is the end to our great week! This morning we ate breakfast here in the hotel and then set out to see the changing of the guards at Buckingham Palace. It was very cold and wet today, but the girls knew I wanted to see it again so they were troopers. Actually, Elise has been a trooper this whole week. The only time she showed me that she wasn't happy was in the Heathrow airport when we arrived, and honestly, being awake for 30 hours would put anyone over the edge.
Apparently the guards have a different show for winter then what they do in the warmer months, so the horses carrying the band did not make an appearance. Boy, was I disappointed about that! It was still a worthwhile event, but had I known we wouldn't see the horses I would have gotten Elise closer to the gates. Oh well- next time, right?
After the ceremony was over we went to a favorite pub of Adrienne's for lunch. 
Then, the girls deemed it "mom's birthday" so I got to choose our next event. I had seen an ad for a museum of Handel, but it was not free (most museums are free here) and I was worried that the girls would be bored. Adrienne said, "It's not far so let's go!" It ended up being our highlight of the day! It's called the "Handel House" and is actually the house where Handel lived during his years in London. We got to see his bedroom, music room and composition room along with stories and music about his life and works. It was a funny feeling to be standing in the place where a great musician had entertained friends and made music. And after seeing Buckingham Palace, it was easy to tie the history together for Elise. Handel wrote music for the royal family and before playing it for them, would try it out with his friends in his own house. So cool!
There was a costume area...
And a "workbook" for Elise to do throughout the tour...
This house was also home to Jimi Hendrix and they have converted the 3rd floor to an area dedicated to him. 
Hendrix's record collection consisted of Bob.
What a view!
Street entrance:
We have had an amazing week together learning, shopping, WALKING and eating! Elise is a pro at using the tube and Adrienne can move through this city so fluidly. We are really sad to leave but know that Adrienne will be home in a few months. Goodbye London- you gave us some beautiful memories!

No comments:

Post a Comment