It was so windy and cold that we didn't spend very much time outside. This will be a very serene and beautiful garden when the surrounding blocks are finished. (And when it's not so cold!)
We spent about an hour and a half in the museum. The displays were very meaningful. I think the still photography of the people watching the towers being hit were the most powerful for me. Looking at their faces, I was reminded of all the feelings I went through that day. I'm sure every exhibit touches people differently. Eliot was glad we went through it. It was very informative with video segments of the events happening mixed with reflections of fire fighters and family of those who died. There were also many artifacts to look at. They wrapped it up with a video of hope for rebuilding.
After the museum we ate lunch. There are lots of sports bars here which Eliot enjoys. He can catch up on any games while eating his bacon cheeseburgers. :) Then we walked about 10 minutes to find the Staten Island Ferry. It was still very cold! We waited for this free ferry for about 15 minutes, (inside is a very nice waiting area with concessions), then boarded and headed out for a peaceful ride.
Lady Liberty.
After our visit to the Statue of Liberty, we decided to visit Harlem. But first we took the subway to Columbia University. Since this is one of Adrienne's final two choices for grad school, I wanted to see it for myself. Adrienne, the campus is simply stunning. And the surrounding neighborhood reminds me of Europe with the hills, streets and apartments. Here students were sitting in the center of campus, on the steps of the library, soaking up the sun.
We left the Morningside community and walked about 15 minutes to the west side of Harlem. We visited the Apollo Theater and the House of Hoops and a couple of other shoe and outlet stores. I didn't feel unsafe here and everyone was very friendly, but I would not want to visit after dark. By the end of this adventure, I was ready to come back to the hotel to rest up a bit. The weather was nicer in Manhatten so we went up to the rooftop of our hotel to look around.
Apparently Eliot was tired too because he was a little slow getting ready to go get dinner. We decided to just grab a slice two doors down from our hotel- cheap, quick and tasty! Then we figured we each had about an hour of walking left in us so we wandered over to Grand Central Station. This was the most crowded place we have been and everyone is in a hurry!
There are many stores in the station, including a grocery store!
We left Grand Central and walked past the New York City Library - beautiful building.
After Eliot tried on a few more clothes, we headed back up to the rooftop of our hotel to get a picture of the Empire State Building all lit up on this clear night. Good night!














No comments:
Post a Comment