Friday, October 11, 2013

Intentionally Grateful

Do you find it easy to be grateful?

I find it easy to be grateful when someone offers me half of their dessert, or shows me how to replace the ink in the riso, or when we get to go out to dinner and I don't have to cook!

I find it easy to be grateful when the leaves are gently blowing on a beautiful autumn day, or when the full moon glows round on a dark night, or when I hear the laughter of kids shooting hoops in the backyard.

But I don't find it easy to be grateful when I find out friends are leaving the state, or when overwhelming projects loom or when every doctor seems to give the same hopeless answers..... where is my gratefulness in those moments?

"Consider it pure joy 
when you face trials of many kinds
because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance
and perseverance must finish it's work
so that you may be mature
and complete
not lacking anything."

How many times a day do I recite those words of James?  More than I want to share with you.

...Pure joy- yes even this, all of this, is pure joy

...testing of your faith- hold on, it will pass

...mature- it's ok- you are not there yet- you are doing fine

...complete- He's not done with you yet

...not lacking anything- you just have a little more growing to do

I've been searching hard for the gifts in every situation this week. Intentionally grateful. It's not that easy, or, I'm just not that good at it. The most important thing I've found is that I have to remember. I have to remember that I'm trying to be more grateful. I have to remember not to fly off the handle. I have to remember that when I do fly off the handle the gift is still there- I just have to see it. Consider it all pure joy. Gosh- that's hard.

Intentionally grateful. Look up. See the colors of the trees and sky mix. Be quiet. Hear the leaves rustle and the animals talk. Savor. Taste my coffee while snuggled in the recliner for a few minutes of quiet reading before the rush of the day begins.

Intentionally grateful.
I've got a long ways to go before I'm complete and not lacking anything.
It's OK.
He's not finished with me yet.



No comments:

Post a Comment