Sunday, June 3, 2012

It's time to notice.

Every day, so much of the world goes unnoticed. Then, when we do notice it, we wish we hadn't. How does a compassionate person face the consequences of evil and get out of bed each morning? Covering every land on this earth are signs of hatred, fear, torture and death.  I'm not naive enough to think that the communities of mid-america are devoid of such problems.  Even in good 'ole Lincoln, Nebraska there are neighborhoods you don't want to walk through after dark and homeless people residing on park benches. The food pantries are begging for donations, the wishlist for school families that need help are endless and the phone at church rings daily with people who are desperate.  But on some level these problems seem manageable to me compared to the large-scale terror that is going on in the Nuba Mountains. And maybe that is what gives me hope and a determination to get out of bed in the morning... the fact that I can do something about things in my community. It's true that I'm not going to be able to solve all the problems in Lincoln. But I can help someone in a small way, and to that someone it might even be a life changing moment. However, if anything life changing is to happen in the Nuba Mountains, someone with bigger and better ideas needs to step up and notice!  Please read this article by Nicholas Kristof and share your ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment