Wednesday, May 2, 2012

"Stupid Law"

This is outrageous! What may have started out as a good idea to get rid of solicitations from credit card companies that prey on college students, has now turned into what I will refer to as "Stupid law". In "Stupid law", only individuals can get credit cards, not people who have combined household income.

Take me as an example. I do all of our bills, manage all of our money, but I don't make enough money to get a credit card on my own. I don't even want one- I'm just sayin' that as the mature, financial person in this situation, "Stupid law" now says that I have to get permission from the one who says, "Buy it-it's just money".

Take Adrienne for example. Adrienne doesn't make enough money to get a credit card on her own. I wanted her to have one to take to Italy, because her bank card won't work there. And then there is the minor detail of how she's supposed to build her credit rating if she can't get any credit? "Stupid law" says, 'Sorry 'bout it!'

Take stay-at-home mom's for example. If you are a stay-at-home mom, you have no income, so you can't get a credit card. Really? What decade are we living in? "Stupid law" says 1950's.

Consider the ramifications of women in domestic abuse situations... or people who are getting divorced... or military families with a spouse half way around the world... There are actually some instances when a credit card would make sense and be helpful... but "Stupid law" says, "oops- sorry we can't help you."

The kicker is, I'm not even a proponent of credit cards. I think they are one of the worst ideas ever invented for managing money... But, guess what? I am now advocating that everyone who wants one should have one- just out of spite. Seriously, what idiot designed that law and how many more lined up behind him and couldn't think ahead 10 minutes to see the forthcoming problems of a stupid law?!

Sign the petition below if you agree.

No comments:

Post a Comment