Monday, March 7, 2011

Good-bye for Lent!

I'm doing it. I'm really going to do it. I am giving up facebook and blogging for Lent. Ironically, I was inspired by a blogger. Click here to read it.

There is no way that I would be able to do what she is doing and unplug the computer. I rely too much on email as a way of communicating with people, and I couldn't think about not having i-tunes for that long. To share a few more excuses, I also write a couple of newsletters for work and have lesson plans, song sheets, etc on the computer and it would be really inconvenient to not be able to use that stuff.

It's not going to be an easy 40 days, (technically 48 days since I am starting now and going through Easter). I check Facebook multiple times per day and read many blogs. I also update my blog every few days. That's a hard habit to break. In fact, I just finished going through my list of favorite bloggers and read one from "Big Mama" that makes it so hard to start this Lenten discipline today. (Click here if you're interested in the post.) I crave encouragement and wisdom from others around me. I am not enough to make it through this life on my own. But, today, I start new habits. I turn to Him first, before others… I turn to the Word first, before the internet… I will get down on my knees and pour myself out to my Gracious Father, before I turn to pen and paper... (actually, I'll probably stew about it for awhile, and then type a few drafts on Microsoft Word...but, one can always set goals. Here's one-that I'd get down on my knees first, instead of as a last resort!).

I hope that after the first few days of shock wears off, that this time turns into a break from the frenzy that the blogging world can be.  I use my blog to document our lives. Every year I print it out and add it to a collection of family scrapbooks. The next 40 days will be filled with many memories that I will want to document, like, the girls' birthday's, our trip to Paris, family visits, Easter, etc. And, I will document them. But this time, I am going to take my time and not worry that I will forget the moment. I am going to do some journaling, and after Easter, will go through hundreds of pictures and reflect on what I want to share.

Until then, if you want to talk to me, email, text or call- or even, better come visit! Let's go out to dinner or meet for coffee! Otherwise, you'll hear from me after He is Risen!

No comments:

Post a Comment