Monday, May 17, 2010

Nostalgic...

The past few weeks I have been remembering my grandma... that's why I put butterflies on the side bars of this blog. I'll never forget standing at her grave site amidst hundreds of butterflies. Of course, my head knows that they were just migrating and we happened to be there. However, when I see a butterfly now, I'm immediately reminded of that day and of my grandma. I can't help but feel that somehow, those butterflies were not just migrating. They were a sign, and continue to be, that grandma is still with me.

Today I was thinking about how every Saturday morning during my high school years, I would travel the 30 miles to my piano lesson and then when I was done, would stop in at my grandma's house for a visit. On those Saturdays she taught me how to make delicious desserts (she made sure I knew to never skimp with the generic or fat-free brands). She took me shopping and spent more money on jeans for me than she spent on food for the weekend. She took me out for lunch and let me order whatever I wanted, including pop and dessert! Grandma always thought I looked nice, she never doubted that I was the smartest and most talented in my class. She encouraged me when I didn't even know I needed it. She loved me just as I was, and couldn't see a thing wrong with me. She taught me what unconditional love is. 

I miss you, grandma and I hope you are still proud of me... send me a butterfly when you have a chance.


No comments:

Post a Comment