Monday, April 5, 2010

The tomb is empty!

We had a wonderful day celebrating Easter and family yesterday! Scott played all morning in the orchestra at First Plymouth Congregational as he does every year, and this year I decided we would go to church there instead of at our church. (Really, the story's the same everywhere on Easter morning, right?) Adrienne didn't want to miss out on Sheridan's service, so she went there at 8am. When she got home, I had breakfast ready for us (cinnamon rolls, eggs and fruit) and then I hid some eggs around the living room for the kids to find. They were hilarious looking for their eggs!

After our egg hunt we headed over to First Plymouth. When I was growing up, our family traveled into Minneapolis on Palm Sunday or Easter to go to a huge traditional Lutheran church that my grandparents attended, Mount Olivet. We always had to arrive super early to get in "the line-up" for parking and into church. Dad always managed to get us a spot right in the first or second row in front of the orchestra and choir so we could see all the good stuff going on. He NEVER wanted to sit in an overflow room and watch the service on TV. So, I had that in the back of my mind as we were getting to First Plymouth. We were seated in the main sanctuary and a little while later Scott found us and was pretty pleased that we were there and not in one of their overflow rooms :) My favorite part of their service was the processional. The orchestra played the 4th movement of Respighi's "Pines of Rome" as acolytes brought the candles in one by one followed by two banners (He is Risen and Hallelujah), a Bible, two crosses and then the choir. They were all moving in time to the music (check out the piece on YouTube if you've never heard it before-turn up the volume!)and it felt like they were processing to the hills of Golgatha. It was awesome and I had spirit-bumps! I wanted to stand up and march up there with them,... but I refrained myself... The rest of the service was filled with wonderful music (provided by many musicians from UNL) and tradition. When the service was over, we waited for Scott, and as we were walking into the courtyard,we happened to walk into an Easter Egg Hunt where someone handed Elise a bag and she got to do that while we chatted with a couple of friends from UNL.

Then it was home to change clothes and head out to Tim's for the afternoon. We had a nice time visiting about the future with the girls and Eliot got to play a little basketball with Caitie and Uncle Tim. Steve and Steph were there too and it was fun hearing about her tour with "Up With People". I think Adrienne was a little jealous of her 6-month traveling experiences that took her to Mexico and overseas!

My absolute favorite memory of Easter morning happened before I even opened my eyes. As Scott was getting ready for work, I heard the pitter patter of Elise's feet coming down the hallway. She climbed into Scott's side of the bed, laid her head on my pillow and whispered, "the tomb is empty mommy...happy easter", and kissed me on my nose. He is risen indeed, Alleluia!


...all dressed up for church and Eliot still has his shirt tucked in!


...cousin Caitie and Adrienne...

...brother Tim and Scott...


...almost brother Steve, his daughter Stephanie and Scott.

No comments:

Post a Comment