Friday, April 16, 2010

Heartache...

A tragedy has struck our church family. Logan Christ, 4th grader at Holmes Elementary School, died from an accident in his home on Wednesday night. Logan and his brother were in my handbell choir last year and have been in my Christmas Choir every year that I have been at Sheridan. I cannot imagine what his mom is going through...I feel so helpless and my heart hurts for her. This morning I woke up and immediately thought of Logan. The tears were streaming down my face before I could even open my eyes.

My last conversation with Logan is one that I will remember forever. I don’t remember what we talked about, but I remember how I felt when it was over. It was on a Wednesday night a few months ago. I was in worship and I saw him sitting with his brother’s small group. At a certain point he was looking around, saw me and waved. About a minute later he bounded out of the pew, ran up to me and asked if he could sit with me. I smiled and nodded yes and then he sat down and gently leaned on me. He sat like that briefly and then sat up and proceeded to have a conversation with me,…while church was going on. I tried to answer his questions while at the same time tried to get him to speak in a whisper and finally gave up. I said, “We need to be quiet now. Let’s talk about it later.” He was content with that for a while, and then starting talking to me again about his day. I tousled his hair and whispered that he needed to whisper and he stopped talking until church was over. When church was done he smiled, said good-bye and went off to the next thing. I remember thinking how grateful I was that he was comfortable enough with me to come and sit with me during worship.

I know Logan is at Jesus’ side, talking his ear off and asking questions that only Jesus would be able to answer. I will always remember his sweetness and how he put his head on my shoulder when we sat together. Please join me in prayer that God will have mercy on this family and grant them peace.

1 comment:

  1. I had heard of this young boy just this morning from a friend of mine from church, who's children attend Holmes. She had mentioned that her daughter (5th grade) was having a hard time with it. So sad to see someone so young die. I'm glad you shared that sweet moment you had with him with us.

    ReplyDelete