Thursday, August 20, 2009

Back to school...again!

Is it really time for summer to be done? I have been really looking forward to it because about half way through the summer it starts....boredom & laziness...I think I might like year-round school better! I'd get to have the kids home for a couple of weeks here and there and they'd have a break to recharge from the insanity of school work, extracurriculars and social calendars.

Yesterday Elise and Eliot started school. Eliot is a 7th grader this year which means he's not the youngest and not the oldest in the school. He had a great day and even came home and...gasp... started working on homework! He has his best friend, John Robert, in one of his classes and was just in awe of him as John Robert asked and answered tons of questions! They haven't had classes together since 1st grade and yesterday Eliot learned, "Mom, he's SO smart!"

Elise started Kindergarten and was so excited to go! (Mom was too!) This child is ready for all day school and she had a wonderful day. The only thing she commented on that was negative was about a little boy at her table, "He bothers me and is such a FREAK!"

This is her walking to school- not waiting for me...
Adrienne got to come with us since she's an upperclassman and didn't start school until this morning...
Here's Elise waiting in line with her class. She is ready to go in- no tears for either of us! That makes the day much easier :)
When Eliot got home, he went straight to work! He cleaned out his backpack, gave me all the first day signature papers ("parents...please sign this indicating you have read it and discussed it with your child...") and worked on his math. He skipped a year in math which we didn't know until we went to Back to School night on Monday. When we met his teacher and she told us that he would be doing 8th grade math this year, I nearly bit my tongue off holding off my question of "are you sure you have the right child?"...she must have seen it written on my face as she answered my silent thoughts with "his teachers were very confident that he would do well!" :)

This morning, bright and early at 6:35, Adrienne left for her junior year of high school- OMG!! How can I have a junior in the house?
This picture isn't great quality, but I needed to take one of her and the car that she's driving to school... and her backpack and purse and lunch. She's always weighted down with books and extra stuff. Even if she wasn't driving I would pick her up because she has too much stuff to carry.

Today, I'm going to send the other two out the door, and then I'm going to work for a couple of hours to catch up on a few things. THEN, I'm going to come home and enjoy a silent house for a while before the after school insanity begins! My favorite part of the school year is the house rule: "No TV, no game systems and no friends on school nights!"...except for Lilly...Lilly doesn't count... :) Happy new school year to everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment