Thursday, January 31, 2013

In a funk... or something...

Well, I sure have not been great about blogging the past couple of months. I can't decide if it's because there is so much going on that there isn't time to write, or if there's nothing worth writing about. :)  I sort of feel like I've been in a funk since getting home from Italy and have been forcing one foot to move in front of the other. I haven't felt creative, and that, I think, is my main problem. I think I'm recovering from a little bit of burnout. But today, as I was turning the calendar to the first day of February, I started thinking that the fog that has encompassed my whole being these past few weeks, is lifting.

So what is going on that is worth mentioning...?

Adrienne: Adrienne, my world traveler, is settled into her new apartment. She has internet and gas for her stove so she's content. It's a lot further walk from campus, but that just means a little more free exercise. Her classes seem to be going well and she's still working both at the music library on campus and at Red Mango. Her social calendar is full. And just when I was giving up on her non-existent faith life, she sent me this article.

Eliot: Eliot did not start off the new semester with stellar grades. BUT, he has turned the corner in french and actually understands what he is reading right now. He has even been working systematically everyday instead of once every 3 weeks. He is trying to find a job, but mainly spends his free time at the gym with friends. And, he has perfected his nighttime snack of chips and cheese and offered me some the other night... could it be that this child will eventually be able to cook for himself?

Elise: Elise is doing awesome on her piano skills. We have found a nice balance the last few weeks of practicing chord charts and sheet music. I will never understand why she is only getting the equivalent of B's in music at school. She is our little diva and has started planning her birthday party... with a Hollywood theme. She also made our day with her assessment of how Eliot is "self-concepted".

Scott: Scott is teaching trombone and performing. He is not teaching History of Rock-n-Roll right now, but instead is designing an online course. His prize is that he got a whole bunch of new equipment. Physically he has good days and bad days, but we are all thankful that regardless of how he feels, he gets up and goes to work every... single... day.

Me: I'm grateful that this month of January has allowed me time for reflection and rest.  I made time to sing in choir (which I missed) and worked up the courage to audition for praise team (thanks to a friends encouragement). Elise and I are participating in a chili cook-off this weekend.  I love to read and play solitaire on my iPad. I am helping to plan the Women's Retreat in April. I have immersed myself in a new Bible Study.  I've watched Eliot play basketball and driven him 27 times to the Y and back. I've snuggled with Elise and gave Adrienne "two-armed hugs". Scott and I will be attending a Marriage Retreat for Valentine's weekend.

Praise God for his blessings and for the ability to see them.

No comments:

Post a Comment