Friday, December 21, 2012

Italy Part 1 - Getting There

I'm just going to start out by saying that this day was one of the best days of my trip. I think it was because I had so much time to myself...well, and that I got to hold Adrienne. I didn't think about work stuff, I didn't plan out any kid stuff, I just sat and read and prayed and listened to music and drank wine (yeah, they give you that on the planes) and was just in my own head. I didn't have any problems in the airports. I wasn't rushed even though I had to take 3 different planes to get to Milan. Many people told me their horror stories prior to leaving... (why do people do that- it's like telling a soon to be mom your most dramatic birthing story before she goes into labor?!?!) but everything was fine. I sat by great people, didn't have trouble in customs, went through security just fine and didn't meet anyone that was irritated that they worked in the travel industry.

When I got to Milan, I started to worry that I wouldn't be able to (literally) find Adrienne... I found my luggage claim area and figured out how to work the bathroom while I was waiting for the suitcases to be dropped off. After I retrieved my luggage (which made it there just fine), I exited through a door that I hoped wasn't taking me permanently outside. I took two steps out the door and out of the corner of my eye I saw a bouncing, dark haired girl lunging toward me... yes, it was my Adrienne... with darker and shorter hair than I remembered... it was your typical movie scene with both of us talking and crying... don't worry- it's Christmas and we witnessed many of those reunions as we traveled home through the airports :)  Anyway, we managed to compose ourselves and Adrienne showed me how to work the "bancomat" where I took out cash. Then she took me right to the bus stop where she ordered up two round trip tickets to the city and away we went. It was soooooo nice to have a built in tour-guide!

It was also great that she wasn't jet-lagged and she could maneuver my luggage while we walked the few blocks to her apartment. Inside we were greeted by her roommate and later her other friends. Since it's Christmas and I'm a mom, I had brought them all cozy socks to wear on their plane rides home and they loved them... I think they loved the sight of the Target bag almost as much as the socks! We were going to get some supper when we met her friend, Anne, coming into the apartment complex. We stopped for some hugs... Anne and I... she apparently needed some mama love... and then Adrienne and I went to get pizza-yum! Then we went back to the apartment to pack up our bags and go to bed because we were getting up early to catch our train to Rome in the morning. We both slept in her little twin bed... actually, I think I died while she snuggled me.

No comments:

Post a Comment