The weather was just beautiful today! Elise and I spent the morning together going to garage sales. She’s getting to be a pro at it! We pack a snack and sunglasses and suntan lotion. She keeps her eyes out for signs and buckles and unbuckles herself in and out of the car. She carries her little money purse to each place and has not thrown one fit about anything throughout our whole garage sale experience. Today, as her little hand was nestled in mine, she said, “I really appreciate you taking me garage sale-ing” to which I replied, “ I really appreciate having someone to go garage sale-ing with!” She wore her ballerina tutu all day long. Of course everywhere we went people commented on “the little princess”, or “the little ballerina” or “the Hollywood star”- it’s the pink sparkly sunglasses that complete the outfit!
Adrienne is out with friends tonight. She has made a new group of friends through the drama department at school. I’m glad she’s having so much fun, and is able to balance enjoying life and studying hard! But, as I was sitting on a park bench with Scott tonight watching her drive away to her event, part of me couldn’t help being sad that soon she will be driving away to her own place. The place that she calls home will no longer be our house. As she constantly tells me…”I’m not getting married, mom. I’m going to live alone in my fancy apartment and come and go as I please.” Well, maybe I didn’t hear that last part right, but she does desire the apartment life. Good thing as she hates doing any yard work!
As I’m writing this, I can hear Eliot and John Robert upstairs laughing over a computer game. John Robert broke his arm, so they have been content playing legos and computer games. As Eliot will tell you, they have been friends since they were babies- “he’s the closest thing I have to a brother, mom!” I was looking through pictures the other day and found the cutest one of them when they were about 2 years old. John Robert had a buzz cut and Eliot’s hair seemed whiter than it is now!
These moments seem to whiz by faster than I can keep track. When your kids are born, there are times when you think that they will never grow up, that you will never have a minute to yourself and that life as you know it will never be normal again... (Ok, honestly, I might have had those thoughts today or yesterday). But the truth is, they grow up way too fast, you’ll be lonely even when they are in your house and this IS normal…
No comments:
Post a Comment